The PSM II is an advanced course helping students to understand the stances that characterize an effective Scrum Master and Servant Leader while diving deep into how they serve the Scrum Team, Product Owner and organization. The class teaches students about related practices and skills to enable them to have the right types of conversations and how to apply them to become better Scrum Masters.
Unlike the Professional Scrum Master (PSM) course which focuses on how to use Scrum, the Scrum framework and the role of the Scrum Master, the PSM II aims to clarify the desired mindset and behavior that is necessary to become an effective Scrum Master.
PSM II certification
The Professional Scrum Master II (PSM II) course is an advanced Scrum Master class designed to support Scrum Masters in their professional development. All participants completing the Professional Scrum Master II course will receive a password to attempt the PSM II assessment. They are also entitled to a 40% discount on the PSM III assessment. If you pass the assessment, you will gain the industry recognized PSM II certification. This certification doesn’t expire and makes you part of an elite community of less than 1,800 PSM II badge holders worldwide.
Students attending Scrum.org training classes learn the importance of inspection, adaptation, and fast feedback cycles. To reinforce those concepts, the students that attend the class and attempt the corresponding certification assessment within 14 days but do not achieve a score of at least 85% will be given a 2nd attempt at no cost.
The making of the PSM II class
With the official launch by Scrum.org, we can now share with you the awesome ‘making of’ story. The bottom-line is that Scrum.org has acquired our former “Scrum Master Advanced” class! We’ve been spending the past eight months turning it into the official, brand new Professional Scrum Master II-class (PSM-II) for Scrum.org.
As course stewards, we are responsible (with Stephanie Ockerman and Simon Reindl) for the entire Professional Scrum Master curriculum (both PSM-I and PSM-II).
If you’d like to know more about this incredible journey and how we designed it, click here for a detailed write-up.
Who should attend?
The Professional Scrum Master II course is an advanced course specifically designed for experienced Scrum Masters who have a thorough understanding of the Scrum framework.
It is particularly beneficial for those people with at least one year of Scrum Master experience. We’re not going to explain the basics of the Scrum framework. Therefore we recommend every participant to attend a Professional Scrum Master (PSM) class and/or achieve the PSM-I assessment as preparation for this advanced class.
What participants will learn
Over the 2 days, students will learn about areas critical to growing as a successful Scrum Master. They'll learn how the principles and values of Scrum help guide Scrum Masters in the decisions they make and how the Scrum Master can help change the environment of Scrum Teams, creating an environment for agility to thrive. The Scrum Master role is complex and often, a Scrum Master must be able to apply different stances in order to be effective, such as teacher, coach & mentor, facilitator and change agent.
As a Scrum Master, you need to be able to identify, and effectively apply which stance would benefit your team the most depending on the situation.
As a Scrum Master, part of your role is to help management and other stakeholders across your organization understand the benefits of Scrum and Agile. Therefore, it is imperative that you have the information and background that is needed to gain credibility in order to be an effective change agent. Throughout the class, we will provide stories, exercises, facilitation techniques (such as “Liberating Structures”), resources and more. There will also be time to provide peer-coaching on challenges that you and your classmates may be experiencing today.
- What practices, tools, skills and stances make an effective Scrum Master
- How the Scrum principles and values help guide Scrum Masters in the decisions they make
- How the Scrum Master acts as a servant-leader and improves their ability in this role
- What the Scrum Master can do to support Development Teams and Product Owners to become more effective
- Ways that the Scrum Master can help to change the environment making it more conducive for Scrum Teams to be successful with greater agility
- Provide tips and techniques for the Scrum Master to work with the rest of the organization in support of their Scrum Teams
Why our class?
- Together with Scrum.org, we created and continue to develop this PSM-II class. As scrum.org course stewards for the scrum master curriculum we work hard to improve the materials and ensure the highest quality;
- With tons of excersises and energizers we will keep you form dozing off during two high-energy days. No boring powerpoints. In fact, we will not even be using a beamer;
- This course will be facilitated by two experienced trainers that have coached numerous teams over the years;
After attending the class...
- You will be invited to an invitation-only Scrum Master Retrospective - a quarterly meetup in the Netherlands for participants of the course. The Retrospective helps you achieve your learning goals, build networks and learn from other excellent scrum masters;
- You will be invited to join the global liberators network where experienced scrum masters, agile coaches and professionals give and and get help;
- You will receive a useful book to further support you in your journey and the materials used during the training;
An impression of the workshop https://youtu.be/QvXyS4tz74c
Also participating (10)Erik Talboom
Geert De Cang
Inge Van den Bussche
Jurgen De Smet
Mark van der Ploeg